- 1 large head broccoli, cut into florets
- Kosher salt
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for frying
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- 1 c. grated Parmesan
- Crushed red pepper, for serving
- Flaky sea salt, for serving
- Prepare a large ice bath. In a large pot of boiling salted water, blanch broccoli until bright green and just tender, about 2 minutes. Drain broccoli then immediately transfer to ice bath. Drain broccoli again and pat dry with paper towels.
- On a large cutting board or clean working surface, use the back of a mason jar (or small glass), to smash broccoli. (Don’t press down so hard that the florets completely fall apart.)
- In a large skillet over medium heat, pour in just enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the skillet and heat until olive oil is shimmering. Add broccoli and garlic in an even layer and cook, without moving, until the bottom of the broccoli is crispy and golden, about 3 minutes. Flip and cook until crispy on other side, another 2 minutes.
- Remove broccoli and garlic from skillet and transfer broccoli to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. (Discard garlic — it’s already done its job flavoring the olive oil!) Work in batches to cook remaining broccoli.
- Immediately squeeze lemon juice over broccoli and sprinkle with Parmesan, flaky sea salt, and red pepper flakes.